Sunday, March 28, 2010

Bike map help

Ok fellas I am still working on the bike map, got a bit busy...   
I need your opinions.  I think using a slope raster over the hillshade would be beneficial to people planning their routes.  But I can't get a color ramp to look decent and not blend into my other colors...    I have an elevation that looks good, but to me seems a bit less relevant to the purpose of this map.  

So here are some drafts with much work left to be done...  Let me know which you like better please.  It will influence color choices for municipalities and other objects.

Slope:
Elevation:


Thoughts????

2 comments:

  1. Hey Doug,

    I think you got a good start. The top map is less distracting but the red is a little strong. The red and white areas in the second map are too distracting. I find my eye immediately drawn to the white area.
    For me the temptation of an elevation and hillshade is hard to resist, but it can take away from the purpose of the map. I agree that the rider would like to see the terain of the route but too much hillshade makes it more like a map for rock climbing.
    Try a couple of things and see if you like the outcome more. Go to the color ramps and try a single color ramp or one with only two colors. If the colors are to saturated you can adjust the transparency of the elevation, but you can also adjust the brightness and contrast. The second thing you can try is making the hillshade partialy transparent. Check out my map. I used a 50 percent transparency on the hillshade and about 30 percent on the elevation. For me this was enough sense of elevation and slope without distraction. Remember also that the routes are rated for difficulty, so showing terain can be redundant.
    Hope this feedback was helpful.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bottom looks something like I ended up with. I like the the red, but is it strong and may take away from the bike routes. I guess if you tome the red down you could end up with a pink map. Stu

    ReplyDelete